Are you in the process of moving or decluttering your home? One major question that may arise is, “What size storage unit do I need?” It can be overwhelming to determine what size unit will adequately fit all of your belongings.
The last thing you want is to rent a unit that is too small and end up cramming everything in, making it difficult to access items when needed. On the other hand, renting a unit that is too big would mean wasting money on unused space.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of estimating the perfect storage unit size for your needs. Say goodbye to worrying about whether your belongings will fit and read on to learn more!
Assess Your Storage Needs
To get a better idea of how much storage space you require, consider the following questions:
How many rooms’ worth of items are you planning to store?
This will give you an initial idea of the size you may need. For example, a 5’x5′ unit is typically enough for a small bedroom’s worth of items.
Are you storing any large furniture or appliances?
Items like sofas, refrigerators, or king-sized beds require more space.
Do you plan to access your items frequently, or just store them long-term?
If you need regular access, you’ll want to leave some room for aisles so you can easily reach all items.
Are you storing valuable or delicate items that need extra protection?
These may need extra space for protective packaging or even a climate-controlled unit.
Will you continue to add more items to the storage unit over time?
In this case, it might be worth getting a slightly larger unit for future needs.
By asking yourself these questions, you can make a more informed decision about the size of the storage unit you need.
Consider Potential Future Needs
When choosing a storage unit, it’s crucial to not only consider your current requirements but also anticipate your potential future needs. Life is unpredictable and circumstances can change rapidly.
You might find yourself needing to store additional items unexpectedly, or maybe you’re planning a future move or renovation that will require temporary storage.
If you foresee any of these situations, it could be beneficial to rent a slightly larger unit now, rather than having to upgrade or rent an additional unit later. This foresight could save you the hassle of moving your items again and could potentially be more cost-effective in the long run.
Remember, it’s better to have extra space and not need it than to need extra space and not have it. Plan smartly, consider your future needs, and choose a storage unit that gives you room to grow.
Measure Your Items
Accurately measuring your items is a critical step in determining the appropriate size of your storage unit. Here are several tips to help you:
- Use a Tape Measure: Measure the length, width, and height of your furniture and boxes. Record these dimensions to estimate how much space each item will occupy in the storage unit.
- Consider the Shape: Remember that not all items are perfectly square or rectangular. For unusually shaped furniture like L-shaped couches or desks, try to approximate them as a rectangle or square for your measurements.
- Disassemble Furniture: Larger pieces of furniture like beds, dining tables, or wardrobes can often be disassembled. It can make them easier to store and may save you space. Remember to account for all parts in your measurements.
- Plan for Packaging: If you’re wrapping items or putting them in boxes, remember to account for the added size. Protective materials like bubble wrap or thick blankets can add to the dimensions of your items.
- Sketch a Layout: Once you have your measurements, sketch a rough layout of how you plan to arrange items in your storage unit. It can help you visualize the space and decide if a certain size unit will be sufficient.
- Consider Vertical Space: Don’t forget that storage units have height and floor space. Stacking items can help you maximize your usage of the unit.
Always remember, that accurate measurements are key to successfully estimating the size of the storage unit you need.
Explore Different Storage Unit Sizes
Understanding the size of the storage unit is a major factor in making an informed decision. Here are some common sizes of storage units and what they typically can accommodate:
- 5’x5′ (25 sq. ft.): This is comparable to a small closet. It’s ideal for storing several boxes, a small mattress set, or seasonal items like holiday decorations.
- 5’x10′ (50 sq. ft.): This unit is about the size of a walk-in closet. It can hold furniture from a small bedroom, including a queen-sized bed, a dresser, a TV, and several medium to large-sized boxes.
- 10’x10′ (100 sq. ft.): Comparable to half the size of a standard one-car garage, this unit can typically accommodate the furnishings of a one-bedroom apartment. This includes major appliances, furniture, and a significant number of boxes.
- 10’x15′ (150 sq. ft.): This unit is roughly the size of a large bedroom and can hold the contents of a two-bedroom apartment, including several large appliances, furniture, and boxes.
- 10’x20′ (200 sq. ft.): This size equates to the dimensions of a standard one-car garage. It can hold the furnishings of a multi-bedroom house, including large pieces of furniture, appliances, bikes, and multiple boxes.
- 10’x30′ (300 sq. ft.): The largest commonly available unit can store a fully furnished 3-5 bedroom house, including large items like washers, dryers, refrigerators, and several large boxes.
Always remember, that these sizes are a guide, and the actual amount of stuff each unit can hold will depend on how efficiently you pack your unit.
It’s often recommended to visit the storage facility in person to get a better idea of what a particular unit size can hold.
Understand the Need for Climate-Controlled Units
Climate-controlled storage units maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level all year round. These units are necessary for storing items that are sensitive to extreme temperatures or moisture.
For example, wooden furniture can warp in high humidity, while electronics can be damaged by extreme cold or heat. Artworks, musical instruments, and important documents also require stable conditions to prevent degradation.
When selecting a storage unit, considering whether you need a climate-controlled unit is vital. These units are typically available in all the same sizes as standard units. However, you may want to opt for a slightly larger unit if you have many delicate items, as you will want to avoid cramming items too closely together.
Good air circulation is critical in climate-controlled units to maintain consistent conditions throughout the unit. Therefore, it’s advisable to leave some space around your items, especially if they’re sensitive to temperature or humidity.
Remember, while climate-controlled units may cost more than standard units, the additional expense can be a valuable investment to protect your valuable or irreplaceable items. Always consider the nature and value of what you’re storing when deciding on the storage unit’s size and features.
Estimating the right storage unit size may seem daunting at first, but by following these steps and considering your needs now and in the future, you can make an informed decision.
Accurate measurements, understanding different unit sizes, and utilizing space-saving strategies can help you get the most out of your storage experience. Don’t forget to consider factors like climate control and the value of your items when deciding on the size and features of your unit.
So, if you’re planning to rent a storage unit, remember these tips to help you make an informed decision about the size of the unit you need. With careful consideration and preparation
About Xtra Storage Companies –
Are you looking for affordable and reliable public storage in Miami to store your clothing items and other accessories? Xtra Storage Companies is your one-stop destination! Our self-storage units are safe, affordable, and climate-controlled to maintain your articles in the best possible condition. We also have self-storage units of all sizes to meet your requirements. You can reach out to us by filling out our online contact form.