Saying that someone/ something has “Aged like fine wine” is a very common compliment to show that age has been kind to someone, and has even led to them improving. But what about actual wines, how do we know which wines we should let age and grow, and which are not worth the weight? Allow for us to present you with a list of some wines that may interest you to know which improve by being left alone.
The 5 Best Wines to Store
1. Riesling (3-20 yrs.)- a white wine that gets its name from the Rhine region of Germany. The Riesling is an aromatic wine that has it an almost aromatic scent along with it having a high acidity.
A recommended brand would be the Grosset ‘Springvale’ Watervale Riesling.
2. Shiraz (5-12 yrs.)- dark grape variety red wine. The wine was made from the offspring of two obscure grapes from southeastern France, Dureza, and Mondeusa Blanche.
Head Wines ‘The Blonde’ Barossa Shiraz is a recommended brand for storing.
3. Red Zinfandel (5-10 yrs.)- a robust red wine, its high sugar content allows for higher levels of fermentation with alcohol levels exceeding fifteen percent.
Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma is a great all-around brand for storing.
4. Sauternes (5-15 yrs.)- a French sweet wine from the Sauternais region of the Graves location in Bordeaux. They are affected by something known as “Noble Rot,” which leads to them being partially raisined, resulting in concentrated and distinctly flavored wines.
The 2016 Chateau Rieussec, though new, is a reasonably priced sauternes ready for you to enjoy or be stored.
5. Sangiovese (5-10 yrs.)- a red Italian wine offers a savory flavor to it. They do however are a kind of chameleon wine and provides a bit of a variety of flavors.
Antinori Villa Toscana 2014 is an intense ruby red and has a complex nose of ripe red berry fruit along with cherries and plums. These are integrated with a spicy sensation of vanilla and pepper created by the aging in oak barrels.
International Wine Storage
Wine is one of the greatest pleasures in life, and we take the protection and care of your liquid assets very seriously. You will feel safe storing your wine with us with our 25 years plus experience, and our attention to detail. If you would like to learn more about our specialty wine storage services, click here.