STUDENT INFO / FAQ’S / TIPS
UM – FIU – MDC STUDENTS STORAGE!
1. Why rent a unit with us?
2. Where are you located?
2) From FIU (Florida International University – South Campus). Take 117th Ave South to Kendall Drive. Take a left turn on Kendall Drive (heading East) to 87th Ave. Turn right on 87th Ave heading South. Take 87th Ave to 129th Terrace and turn right. We are a half block in on the left hand side. This drive usually takes about 18 minutes
3. How do I decide what size unit I will need?
1) Students who live in the dorm and have the typical contents of a dorm room (a few boxes, plastic containers, a computer, a mini-frig, microwave, books, comforter, pillows, etc. but do not have big furniture can use our smallest and least expensive space! This is a 4’ x 4’ x 4’ (length/width/height). Based on our experience this is the perfect size and favorite for the student who just moved out of the dorm. Click this link to see the video
2) Students who live in the dorms, but want to share or go in on a storage unit together. This category is for students who still live in the dorms and have the typical contents mentioned above, but want to share a unit. This is a great option, just remember you will need a little extra space and that there is a one-time $20 charge (for the entire summer) for each person sharing the unit. For these students we recommend our 4’ x 6’ x 4’ upper, or the 6 x 6 x 4 upper. These units have worked out great for students sharing a unit. Click here to see the video!
3) Students who have some furniture (may just be a futon, mattress, desk, chair, couch, etc.). If you have a piece or two of furniture this category is for you! A unit that is slightly larger, and has a higher height dimension is needed for any furniture. For these students we have the perfect size and recommend a 4’x 4’ x 8’ lower level, or 4’ x 6’ x 8’ lower level.
4) If you don’t fit into any of the above-mentioned categories – this one’s for you! So don’t worry if you’re moving out of a multi bedroom house or apartment – we have over 35 other sizes to satisfy your storage needs. Our goal is to rent you just the right amount of space to satisfy your need without going over! Call or email us direct at (305) 257-8925 / Kendall@XtraStorageCompaniesFL.com and we’ll help you assess the perfect size!
4. What is the reservation process?
5. When can I move in?
6. How do I get my stuff to the storage facility?
7. What do I do when I get to the facility?
8. Do I have to make an appointment to bring my stuff in, access my storage, or move out when I get back into town?
9. Is there someone to help me (or my daughter / son) lift or move the stuff into the unit?
10. Helpful tips for summer storage:
- Don’t forget to de-frost, clean, and dry your mini frig!
- All refrigerators should be stored with the door slightly open in order to prevent molding and increase breathability.
- Don’t forget to clean your microwave! This is important to prevent molding.
- Remember to throw away all food and drink prior to arriving to storage. This includes oatmeal packets, cereal, and any boxed food such as rice, or Mac n cheese.
- We have moving carts, dollies, and a specially designed staircase ladders all of which are here for your convenience. We will show you and explain how to use these if you do not know or if you need help.
- Remember that we sell all kinds of packing supplies including boxes, tape, rope, and locks!